West Ham had its own Coat of Arms, granted in 1887.
The Coat of Arms (also called Armorial Bearings) were granted to the "Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the Incorporated Borough of West Ham" in a Letter Patent of that year over the seal of Sir Albert William Woods, Knight Garter Principal King of Arms; Walter Aston Blount, Esq., Clarenceux King of Arms and George Edward Cokayne, Esq., Norroy King of Arms. The Letter is issued and sealed with the seals of these officers of the College "this 14th of January in the 50th year of the Reign of Our Sovereign LADY VICTORIA By the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland Queen Defender of the Faith etc. In the Year of Our Lord One thousand eight hundred and eighty seven"
As with so many Civic Arms, West Ham's depicted local connections to trade or commerce and important historical connections. They are fully described in the item on the Coat of Arms (1)- Newham Council, who, upon inception in 1965, were granted a Coat of Arms drawing largely from this one, save that West Ham's motto was Deo Confidimus :"In God we Trust"