The original building was opened in 1921 by Will Thorne, M.P. before King George V and Queen Mary. It cost about £100,000 and included a theatre, swimming-bath, gymnasium, and sports ground, it was very successful until the Second World War. It was closed and sold in 1956. In the 1970s it was being part used as offices. The interior and rear has now (2010) been demolished, the facade restored and modernized, the building rebuilt and converted into one and two bedroom apartments. See old photo titled, Y.M.C.A. & Red Triangle Club, in Plaistow E13, on this site.