Fife Road Mthodist Church has its origins in 1853 when they first met in Coke Oven Cottages on the site of Thames Iron Works.
Rathbone Market on a busy day in 1977.
The shops have now been demolished and the site cleared (2011) for the redevelopment of Canning Town.
The Supermarket is still there but since 1977 has change names a number of times, from Caters to Presto, then Kwik Save, then Somerfield, and it has just been revamped as a Co-op.
Canning Town Cinema Hall
Cinema-going was extremely popular throughout the twenties and thirties, with people going two or three times a week to enjoy the glamour of Hollywood and the plush interiors of the cinemas. Canning Town actually had one of the first purpose-built cinemas, opened in 1909 in Rathbone Street.
Boxing at Mansfield House in 1931. Boxing was one of the many recreational activities encouraged at Fairbairn Hall, Barking Road, run by the Mansfield House Settlement.
Impromtu Surgery on the Barking Road deals with casualties of the Silvertown Explosion at the Brunner Mond factory January 19th 1917.
From the way the people are dressed this is a very early photo of the station
Newham Heritage & Archives (Stratford)
An Impression of James Keir Hardie and his Constituency a year before he was elected in 1892, gives a flavour of what the area was like in Victorian times.
Emmanuel Church has taken over the former British Flag pub in Canning Town E16. The former public house has become a 'house of worship.'
ANCHOR HOUSE Barking Road, Canning Town E16 was opened in 1962 by the Roman Catholic Apostolate of the Sea as a hostel for seamen and is now there for the homeless. It is built on the site of the site of the former Lees Hall (Canning Town Women's Settlement) and adjoining properties.
(Text: Colin Marchant: Faith Flows Project 2010, with addition information by Newham Heritage & Archives; Photo: Matthew Crisp)
Walter Harold Hill was born in Canning Town on 5th May 1916. He is seen here in the Second World War, when he served in the Royal Army Service Corps. After the war, in civilian life, he worked for the GPO in the Brentwood area. He died in 1976, aged 60.
(Photograph and information supplied by his daughter Sharon Hill)