1970s

Barking Road/Rathbone Market

Photo from 1970 with Rathbone Market on the left, Anchor House and St Margarets Church on the right. Before Canning Town flyover was built.


From Newham Heritage & Archives Collection (Stratford)

Barking Road/Rathbone Market

Barking Road/Beckton Road

The Junction in January 1972.


From Newham Heritage & Archives collection (Stratford)

Barking Road/Beckton Road

Woodbine Terrace Barking Road 1971

Woodbine Terrace. Barking Road E16. Showing True Form shoe's and Murkoff's shops. Built in 1864 they are one of the earliest group of buildings on the Barking Road. Photo August 1971.


From Newham Heritage & Archives collection (Stratford)

Woodbine Terrace Barking Road 1971

Barking Road North Side

Barking Road E16, North Side towards Hermit Road. Undated but probably 1970s from age of the cars.


From Newham Heritage & Archives collection (Stratford)

Barking Road North Side

Gordon Place 1971

Barking Road E16, December 1971.


From Newham Heritage & Archives collection (Stratford)

Gordon Place 1971

Pyramid, c1976

The Pyramid, council offices at 95 The Grove from 1976 until 1998 - did you 'love it' or 'hate it'?

Pyramid, c1976

Dock Railways (7) - Office

This wooden building was used by the Port of London Authority and thought to be used in connection with clerical work, dealing with goods coming in by railway before being loaded into ships.

Dock Railways (7) - Office

Harold Road School, 1974.


The school was built in 1901 for 1,552 pupils. It was reorganised in 1930 for senior boys, senior girls and infants. The girls department closed in 1937. In 1945 it became a mixed secondary modern school.   In 1988 Upton Cross school was built on the site of the former Harold Road School, which was demolished.


Photo: Newham Heritage & Archives

Harold Road School, 1974.

Upton Cross Primary School, 1977.

The original school was in Plashet Road and opened in 1885, it had places for 1,200 pupils. It was reorganised in 1930 for junior boys, girls and infants and again in 1945 into mixed juniors and infants. The school was used as an Air Raid Precaution station in the Second World War. In 1988 it became the Upton Community Centre, which included the One Love centre and a new school was built on the site of the former Harold Road School, which was demolished.

Upton Cross Primary School, 1977.

Lister Community School, 1973.

The origins of Lister date back to1921 when West Ham introduced five Day-Continuation Institutes, one of which was called Livingstone, at Balaam Street Congregational schoolroom. It transferred to North Street school in 1927 and was renamed Lister Day-Continuation Institute in 1933. After the Second World War it was absorbed into the North West Ham Technical School, and in 1952, moved to Queens Road to the former Russell School which was built in 1932 and closed in 1940. In 1956 it was renamed Lister Technical school and in 1972 it became Lister Comprehensive and finally Lister Community School. There are purpose-built facilities for science, a large sports hall and drama studio completed in the mid 1990's.  A three storey building was opened in 1998 housing new science laboratories, a learning resource centre and library as well as dining hall facilities.  The school has a large playground and its own playing field in nearby Southern Road. As part of the Performing Arts designation new upgraded facilities in drama and music and new dance studio were opened in 2003. Under BSF, Lister will be moving into a brand new £25 million building in January 2010.


 


 

Lister Community School, 1973.
Syndicate content