Avenons Road (seen here in the 1960s) was built on six acres of marsh pasture land that were owned by Nicholas Avenon a merchant tailor of London who died in 1599.
He conveyed to 12 trustees by a deed of 1580, six acres of marsh called Withering's mead. After his death the income from this land was to provide 24 poor persons with a penny loaf each Sunday, with any residue going towards an annual sermon to be preached in the parish church. The charity has had a complex history, with controversy arsing at various times. Development of the land took place between 1881 and 1897 and, when completed, the estate in Avenons Road, Hayday Road, Ingal Road and Denmark Street comprised the sites of about 140 houses, let on building leases.
(Image and text: Newham Heritage Service. More information about Avenon's charity can be found in West Ham 1886 - 1986, published by the London Borough of Newham).
The former Passmore Edwards Museum had an active archaeology section and a busy school loans service. Here we see a member of the museum staff at work.
Frank Lenwood was pastor of Plaistow Congregational Church from 1926 to 1934. Lenwood Hall in Coronation Road, built in 1957, is named for him.
Birds-eye view showing the extensive development of hostels and social care facilities provided by the Mission clustered around the Church.
GIVEN-WILSON INSTITUTE 1912-1970s.
Founded by and named after Thomas Given-Wilson (d. 1916) the vicar of St. Mary's, Plaistow E13. In 1886 he established a welfare clinic and nursery. St Mary's Nurses in Howard's and St Mary's Hospital for women and children in London Road and Upper Road had its origins in this mission work (the site being given by Given-Wilson and Revd. Henry Blisset).
(Text: Colin Marchant Faith Flows Project 2010 with additional text by Newham Heritage & Archives. Image: Matthew Crisp)
MANSFIELD HOUSE has been based in Plaistow from 1889 and has provided community activities and social support since that time.
CHRIST CHURCH, BARKING ROAD, PLAISTOW. Every picture tells a story. The site, name and people linked with this place all tell the story of accelerating change and dogged continuation.