Secondary education

Plaistow Netball Trophy

Plaistow Secondary School Netball Trophy. Schools and dates listed :- Barking 1931 & 1953-54, 1932 & 1958-59, 1933, 1934.  Barking & Regent 1951-52.  Regent 1936 +1947-48, 1949-50, and 1950-51.   Cumberland & Regent 1944.  Cumberland 1945 +1955-56, 1956-57, and 1959-60. 1966 + 1943, 1948-49, 1952-53 and 1962-63.   Beckton 1935 +1954-55. 1937 +1961. 1938 +1964 and 1965. 1939 +1957-58 and 1961-62.  (This trophy is shown in the photo of Plaistow Grammer staff football team Crisis XI.)


Part of Newham Heritage & Archives collection

Plaistow Netball Trophy

Burke Secondary School (2)

Burke mixed secondary modern school, Plaistow, originated as Balaam Street board school, opened in 1897 for 1,556, as successor to the old Balaam Street school. On each floor it had a large central hall flanked by classrooms, to facilitate direct control by the head teachers. In 1930 it was reorganized for senior boys, senior girls and infants. The infants school continued as Balaam Street but the senior schools were renamed after Edmund Burke, the statesman, who lived in Balaam Street for a short time. The school closed at the outbreak of the Second World War, and again in September 1940, but reopened in November 1940 as Balaam Street Emergency School for infants, juniors and seniors. It remained open as Balaam Street until 1945 when it was reorganised and reopened as Burke mixed secondary modern school. It was demolished in 1973.


 

Burke Secondary School (2)

Burke Secondary School (1)

Burke mixed secondary modern school, Plaistow, originated as Balaam Street board school, opened in 1897 for 1,556, as successor to the old Balaam Street school. On each floor it had a large central hall flanked by classrooms, to facilitate direct control by the head teachers. In 1930 it was reorganized for senior boys, senior girls and infants. The infants school continued as Balaam Street but the senior schools were renamed after Edmund Burke, the statesman, who lived in Balaam Street for a short time. The school closed at the outbreak of the Second World War, and again in September 1940, but reopened in November 1940 as Balaam Street Emergency School for infants, juniors and seniors. It remained open as Balaam Street until 1945 when it was reorganised and reopened as Burke mixed secondary modern school. It was demolished in 1973.


 

Burke Secondary School (1)

Balaam Street School and Park.

Seen through the park, Burke mixed secondary modern school, Plaistow, originated as Balaam Street board school, opened in 1897 for 1,556, as successor to the old Balaam Street school. On each floor it had a large central hall flanked by classrooms, to facilitate direct control by the head teachers. In 1930 it was reorganized for senior boys, senior girls and infants. The infants school continued as Balaam Street but the senior schools were renamed after Edmund Burke, the statesman, who lived in Balaam Street for a short time. The school closed at the outbreak of the Second World War, and again in September 1940, but reopened in November 1940 as Balaam Street Emergency School for infants, juniors and seniors. It remained open as Balaam Street until 1945 when it was reorganised and reopened as Burke mixed secondary modern school. It was demolished in 1973.


 

Balaam Street School and Park.

Ashburton School site

Ashburton Secondary School originated as Russell Road board school, opened in 1893. 1896 a permanent centre was opened on the adjoining site and it became a senior boys school in 1932. In 1945 the remaining buildings were combined to form a mixed Secondary school.

Ashburton School site

Ashburton Secondary School

Ashburton Secondary School originated as Russell Road board school, opened in 1893. 1896 a permanent centre was opened on the adjoining site and it became a senior boys school in 1932. In 1945 the remaining buildings were combined to form a mixed Secondary school.

Ashburton Secondary School
Syndicate content